Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 8 slices white bread, torn
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Add bread; mix gently and let stand for 5 minutes. Add beef, onion, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well (mixture will be soft). Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs, a few at a time, in shortening. Place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, stir soups and milk until smooth; pour over meatballs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 399 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1065mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Jul 10, 2017
These meatballs turned out kinda bland up against the other Swedish meatballs in your file.
Sep 10, 2013
Very easy and quite good. I make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze. Then I use them on fall camping trips. I put them in a dutch oven and cover with coals and everyone thinks I spent all day cooking.
Jun 6, 2013
the meatballs are excellent (five Star )the sauce mix is ok ,a nice recipe , i will make it again and change the sauce mix a bit , a must make for any kitchen
Jun 8, 2012
I'm sorry, I haven't even made the recipe but I have to rate it 1 star due to the fact that you call it Swedish meatballs and using a white gravy!!! Being a Swede and I have even asked so many others since I was appalled when coming to the States and seeing how they kept having Swedish meatballs at the store and in a white gravy. We serve them with a brown thin gravy if we have gravy with them. For example how IKEA serve them
Dec 9, 2011
While the flavor was good, I didn't care for the mushiness of the meatball. My husband loved it. I will probably not make this dish again.
Dec 7, 2011
My husband saw this recipe and asked me to make it. He loves it!!!
Aug 22, 2011
I loved how tender these meatballs are. I have taken the meat part of the dish to add spices and made meatloaf, a very tender meatloaf, that my husband says is netter than his mothers.
Nov 30, 2010
it was okay. I've tasted better swedish meatball recipes.
Sep 29, 2010
I made this Monday, the meatballs were good but the sauce was not so good. Really don't know what I would do to improve it.
Sep 9, 2010
My family said that they kinda tasted like meatloaf minus ketchup and add gravy...very good though!