Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min./batch + cooling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand for 30 minutes. Add the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 35 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 4, 2017
These are a favorite at our house! Sometimes I sub creme de menthe extract for the vanilla!
Aug 4, 2016
I made these cookies and they came out perfect! This recipe is par excellence! I took some to our facility hair salon today and the Surprise Meringues were well received! They're SO SIMPLE to make, too! delowenstein
Aug 6, 2012
These were melt-in-your-mouth delicious! Note: It really makes about 70 cookies if you use tsp. to scoop them out. Was a bit of a problem for me to fit all 3 pans in my oven. The lower rack did not cook at the same rate and had to throw those out.
Dec 14, 2011
No comment left
Jan 11, 2011
We love these
Dec 10, 2010
This recipe has become a Christmas staple for me. The cookie is very light and taste's wonderful. It is also gluten free, so it is appropriate for any diet.
Dec 7, 2010
this was made by a co worker ..excellent