Sunshine Orange Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 24 squares)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large egg yolks, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Whisk in orange juice and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the lime juice, orange zest and butter. Pour hot filling into pie crust.
- For the meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl until foamy. add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 363 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 17, 2020
I've made this recipe twice now and I have to say both times I had to keep myself from eating the filling. It is delicious! I made the recipe exactly as described and had no problems.
May 21, 2017
I tried this yesterday and made the merengue for it today.I used a regular pie crust recipe that didn't turn out looking very presentable but tasted very good. My fault, not the recipe.The filling was perfect! Texture and flavor was spot on.The sugar didn't fully dissolve in the meringue. Again my fault. It is more like marshmallow cream than the meringue you normally see but the taste was good.Will make this again and I highly recommend it over a lemon meringue.
Mar 21, 2015
I must have done something wrong! After it started cooling my meringue pulled away from one side (that's never happened before) and my pie was runny!! I did add 1/4 cup more sugar than the recipe called for and I used freshly squeezed Orange and Lime juice. And my pie filling was green when I put it the shell!! The filling tasted amazing tho!! Any advice?!
Jul 4, 2013
No comment left
Jan 3, 2011
This pie is absolutely delicious! It takes a little time, but it's well worth it! I used a regular from scrath crust, as opposed to the graham cracker crust, and it was fantastic! It lasted less than 24 hours in our house! :))