Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Combine curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper; rub over both sides of chicken. In a skillet, combine orange juice, rice, water, brown sugar, mustard and remaining salt. Add chicken pieces; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken juices run clear, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 317 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 562mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch.
Mar 29, 2020
My husband and I thought this recipe was great! I was looking for something quick and easy, and this was perfect. Other than cutting the recipe in half for the two of us, I made it as written. I will cut back a bit on the pepper next time, and look forward to making it again!
Mar 19, 2020
OJ and brown sugar made it a little too sweet but chicken was nice and tender
Feb 11, 2020
Great recipe! Family absolutely loved it
Feb 6, 2020
I made this a while back and it came up on my feed today. I agree with the previous review. The orange was over powering, the curry was very bland. There are much better dishes out there. I threw most of it out.
Feb 21, 2019
We really like the flavor of curry, so I had high hopes for this recipe. In our opinion, the orange juice trumped any other flavors! If I make it again, I would exchange chicken broth for the orange juice and probably add more curry powder.
Feb 12, 2019
No comment left
Feb 8, 2019
Pretty easy, tasted great.
Feb 7, 2019
I have made this chicken dish for decades. It is important not to overcook it as the chicken will become dry. I use boneless, skinless breast halves. I tried it with tenders and they were too small and overcooked. Fresh orange juice is best and I have added the juice of a small lemon or lime several times. My husband does not care for citrus flavored proteins, so I make it when I have guests. It is good very gently re-heated in order to keep the chicken tender. Curry can be adjusted for personal preferences.
Jul 24, 2017
This orange chicken is a pleasant change of pace for chicken!!
Jan 24, 2017
No comment left