Sunny Orange Whole Wheat Pancakes
Friends and family will flip over these light whole wheat pancakes with a sunny twist of citrus. Earl Brunner of Las Vegas, Nevada adapted them from a traditional pancake recipe. "Feel free to mix raisins or dried cranberries into the batter to add a bit of chewy sweetness," he recommends.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- In a blender, combine the first four ingredients. Cover and process until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; make a well. Add orange juice mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 2 tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancake; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with marmalade.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 150 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Sep 4, 2009
i substituted cranberry juice and vanilla extract for the orange products and they turned out to be the best wheat pancakes i've ever had!
Jul 13, 2006
No comment left