Sunday Boiled Dinner
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 smoked boneless ham or pork shoulder (about 2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 pounds carrots, halved
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 2 pounds rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium cabbage, halved
- Prepared horseradish, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, place ham, onion, carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, salt and pepper. Add water just to cover; bring to a boil.
- Place cabbage on top of vegetables. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Drain. Cut cabbage into wedges; remove core. Serve meat and vegetables with horseradish if desired.
Nov 23, 2011
I have made this several times (each time with ham) and it never ceases to be great. I use the Horseradish Sauce (I found it in the Complete Guide to Cooking by Taste of Home) every time. Thank you so much.
May 26, 2010
No comment left
Nov 2, 2009
Wow! I was making it and thinking it was so simple and quick. I was beginning to worry that it would not be good. Never had rutabaga before and missed the part about my pork being smoked. So I added some liquid smoke. Very good. Ate it with the horseradish and that gave it a wonderful flavor.