Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into rings
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown beef with onion. Drain. Season with the garlic powder, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in mushrooms and sour cream; set aside.
- Butter the cut surface of the bread. Place it with the buttered side up on a baking sheet; broil until light golden brown.
- Reset oven to 375°. Spread bread with ground beef mixture. Top with the tomatoes, pepper rings and cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 329 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 562mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 19, 2019
I made this exact recipe (picture was almost identical as well) from a Benson and Hedges cookbook published in the early 1980's. Our sons and company loved it. I still make it after almost 40 years. Another variation is to use Swiss cheese.
Feb 20, 2014
Very Good might try a different cheese on it next time.
Dec 29, 2011
We enjoy this one and have made it more than once. Easy to make and good flavor.
Jul 27, 2011
Very yummy and great way to use tomatoes and green peppers out of the garden. It's way better with "real" tomatoes.
Dec 12, 2010
No comment left
Jan 22, 2010
No comment left