Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the gelatin and lemon juice; stir until dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Add strawberries and stir gently to coat. Spoon into pastry shell. Chill until set, about 3 hours. Serve with whipped topping if desired.
Mar 23, 2016
I've made this pie many times, as written, and it is wonderful! A couple of my tweaks: use 7-Up or some other lemon-lime soda in place of the water, add 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tbsp. after removing from the heat, stir till butter is melted. It adds a note of richness and silkiness to the pie! Oh, and top with freshly whipped cream!
Nov 18, 2015
Yes. I tried the recipe my husband and I loved it. I have been searching for a good strawberry pie recipe that didn't taste like jello with strawberries. The only change I made was to add 3 tbs. of Karo clear syrup to the cornstarch and sugar before boiling. This does give the pie a smoother texture.
Jul 28, 2013
I lost the fresh strawberry pie recipe I received from mother-in-law and searched TOH hoping I could find a recipe close to it. This is the exact recipe. So good!
Jun 18, 2013
I made this recipe, but substituted Margarita Jello, because that is what I had on hand. It was delicious. This will be my "go-to" fresh strawberry pie recipe from now on. There are only 2 people in our household, so we can't eat an entire pie. I cut into this pie and then refrigerated the rest. With this filling, the bottom did not get soggy, a problem I've had with other strawberry pie recipes.
Apr 15, 2011
Good strawberry pie. Reminds me of my moms
Jun 30, 2009
has anybody tried this recipe?
Apr 7, 2007
No comment left