Strawberry Orange Pecan Tossed Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 green onions, chopped
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, vinegar, parsley, salt and pepper sauce until blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large heavy skillet, melt sugar over medium-low heat without stirring until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Add pecans and butter; stir constantly until butter is melted and pecans are coated. Remove from the heat. Pour onto a foil-lined baking sheet; cool completely. Break pecans apart if necessary.
- In a salad bowl, combine the spinach, romaine, oranges, celery, strawberries and onions. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Top with sugared pecans.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 8, 2020
We first had this salad at a gathering with friends years ago. We fell in love with it! It's quickly become our favorite salad recipe for either a meal at home or to share. The only things we've noted or changed is turning up the heat a bit on our electric range to meet the butter and be sure to keep an eye on the butter. Sugar can burn fast! Not a good smell! Just quickly store on the butter and pecans with the melted sugar and pour into foil lined pan. I pull pecans apart with forks while still hot. Once they've cooled, they're glued together! The other thing we enjoy is doubling up on the dressing recipe to be sure e haveand adding extra hot since for as nice spicy counterpoint.
Nov 23, 2014
We love this salad with the fruit and crunchy romaine and spinach. Great salad for the holidays with the red strawberries. I like the sweetened pecans, but you do have to watch them carefully. Even my friends and family who don't like spinach eat this one!
Mar 26, 2011
I omit the recipe's pecans and buy already sweetened ones that I already know that I enjoy!
Mar 26, 2011
love love love this recipe....I could eat just this for dinner and be satisfied. In addition, we have added grilled chicken to the salad and it is good that way too!
Jan 14, 2010
My friends and family love this salad. Especially the pecans. I did burn the pecans once. I take it off the heat as soon as the sugar is melted.
Jan 1, 2010
The pecans taste terrible.
Nov 25, 2009
The pecans come out looking like black bugs and tasted aweful