Strawberry Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup finely crushed saltines (about 10 crackers), divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cracker crumbs into a greased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
- Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in pecans and remaining cracker crumbs.
- Spread evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of prepared pan. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let cool in the oven overnight.
- In a small heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Drizzle over crust. Let stand for 15 minutes or until set. Top with strawberries.
- In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spoon over berries. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 389 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Mar 31, 2017
This was a good dessert, a bit sweet but not overly so.
Dec 17, 2010
had trouble getting out of pan, stuck to the bottom, also very sweet. sorry won't be doing this again.
Jun 25, 2009
Sounds like a very good, very rich dessert. I think I will try it with everything but the whipping cream--use fat-free whipped topping to make it more Weight Watcher friendly. I'd like to know the points for it with the whipped topping.
Jun 24, 2009
No comment left
Mar 12, 2008
No comment left