Strawberry-Hazelnut French Toast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 10 slices French bread baguette (1 inch thick)
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur or hazelnut flavoring syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Sliced fresh strawberries and chopped hazelnuts
- In a microwave, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup; stir until brown sugar is blended. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, liqueur and vanilla; pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove French toast from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until top is puffed, edges are golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with strawberries and hazelnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 304 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 23, 2017
Are you thinking of making this? Go, right now, and make it. This recipe is worth 10 stars. I only made a couple of minor changes. I halved the recipe for the two of us and used pecans instead of hazelnuts. I used the hazelnut flavored syrup. You wonder if it would reheat later? I wouldn't know. We ate the whole thing. This would make a fabulous guest breakfast but the two of us will have it often. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor
Jun 19, 2017
I loved having this in the fridge ready to pop in the oven for breakfast this morning. It was very delicious and filling! I just used the hazelnut extract because my son won't eat nuts. Everyone loved it!