Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 36 Golden Oreo cookies, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 5 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 package (1 ounce) freeze-dried strawberries, coarsely crushed
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- Line a 9x9-in. baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°. Finely crush 24 cookies. In a small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and butter. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake until firm, 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Spread vanilla ice cream onto crust; freeze, covered, until firm. Spread with strawberry ice cream then whipped topping; freeze, covered, until firm.
- Coarsely crush remaining cookies. Combine cookie crumbs and strawberries; sprinkle over whipped topping. Freeze, covered, until firm, about 8 hours or overnight. Remove cake from freezer 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with fresh strawberries.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 584 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 5, 2020
Decided to make this for the 4th of July - was really good! Here are a few changes I made/would make for next time: 1) I didn't have a 9x9 pan, so used an 8x12 instead and increased some things - Oreos to 41 (29 in the crust and 12 for the topping), Butter to 5 T, Vanilla ice cream to 3.5 cups, Strawberry ice cream to 6 cups, kept the frozen whipped topping to 8 oz and the freeze-dried strawberries to 1 package/1 oz. Didn't use fresh strawberries. 2) I'd bake the crust for less time. I did 25 minutes and was darker than I'd like but not burnt. Maybe 15-20 next time. 3) I'd make it the night before and add the topping the day of. Takes awhile to freeze things between layers. 4) I'd make the parchment paper a little bigger so it's easier to pull the whole dessert out of the pan - found that was the easiest way to cut this frozen dessert - out of the pan with a warm knife and a cutting board underneath. Fun summer dessert for sure!