Strawberry Crumble Pie
I host an annual pie-making party before Labor Day. We host a pig roast on our farm every year, but the pies take center stage at the end of the meal. —Beth Howard, Donnellson, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- Dash salt
- 6 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix sugar, tapioca and salt; add strawberries and toss to coat. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to an 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Add filling. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Reduce oven to 375°. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 542 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.