Stovetop Cheeseburger Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook and crumble beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon; pour off drippings.
- In same pan, melt butter over low heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes (do not burn). Gradually whisk in milk, broth, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in green onions, pasta and beef; heat through. Stir in half of the cheeses until melted. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; remove from heat. Let stand, covered, until melted.
Test Kitchen tips
Health Tip: Cut saturated fat by almost half: Use lean ground beef and only 2 cups Jack cheese and make the roux with 2 tablespoons butter and ¼ cup flour. Then, whisk the remaining flour into the broth before adding it to the pan.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 616 calories, 29g fat (17g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Jun 10, 2020
My family loves this, doesn’t need any salt or garlic in my opinion. I only used 2 cups of cheese, it was plenty. Very easy to make and delicious.
May 6, 2020
Anyone complaining does not know how to cook in the first place. A good cook does not blindly follow a recipe and would know going in that 3 cups of cheese is too much. If you gradually added it you would know this. Salt and pepper, yes. It’s a mock Hamburger Helper, not Marzetti (green peppers, garlic ?????)
Mar 26, 2020
Very tasty. Not sure what the other reviews are complaining about.
Feb 4, 2020
No comment left
Jan 17, 2020
I'm glad I read the other reviews before making this, but, even though I followed their advice and cut way back on the cheese, it was STILL too much cheese! (And I used dairy-free.) It was way too heavy, and it needed salt and pepper, and, frankly, a little garlic -- and more onion -- also a little green bell pepper might be nice. I asked hubby if I should try it again, with those changes, and he said, "don't bother". If we're hungry for a cheeseburger, we'll drive to Burger King.
Oct 17, 2019
Ok. Tasty. Too much cheese
Oct 16, 2019
Tasty and very easy
Sep 6, 2019
Needs a lot more seasoning. All you taste is canned tomatoes.
Mar 31, 2019
Not particularly tasty; will need tons of salt and at least a little garlic. Glop in a pot and too much of it for one person.
Mar 10, 2019
This was good but is much like a recipe that I already use from my mother. This was easy to put together and tasty.