Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (about 1 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen vegetables for stew, thawed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add steak, basil, salt and pepper. Stir-fry until meat is no longer pink, 4-5 minutes; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in vegetables and picante sauce. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes. Stir in beans; cook until heated through, 4-5 minutes. Add spinach; cook until just starting to wilt, 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 191 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 1144mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Feb 1, 2017
I saw this recipe in the February/March 2017 magazine and thought it looked good. It was easy to make and my husband loved it! We both love garlic so I doubled the amount. Toast up some crunchy bread to eat with this soup and it is a hearty meal.