Stained Glass Gelatin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lime gelatin
- 6 cups boiling water, divided
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups white grape juice
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a bowl, dissolve the lime gelatin in 3 cups boiling water. Pour into an 8-in. square dish coated with cooking spray. In another bowl, dissolve orange gelatin in remaining boiling water. Pour into another 8-in. square dish coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until very firm.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle unflavored gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add grape juice. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Pour into a large bowl; refrigerate for 45 minutes or until slightly thickened. Fold in whipped topping.
- Cut green gelatin into 1/2-in. cubes and orange gelatin into 1-in. cubes. Set aside 8-10 cubes of each color for garnish. Place 2 cups whipped topping mixture in a bowl; fold in remaining green cubes. Spread into a 13x9-in. dish coated with cooking spray. Fold remaining orange cubes into remaining whipped topping mixture; spread over bottom layer. Sprinkle with reserved green and orange gelatin cubes. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 122 calories, 4g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 12, 2020
I used half the jello (1 package each) and made Creme Celeste as the base. The slight tartness of the yogurt went well with the orange and lime. Will definitely try other flavours.
Jul 8, 2018
I made this as written except I didn't layer the colors...I just mixed both colors together with the whipped cream. Very yummy and refreshing on a hot day!
Jun 8, 2018
I was excited to see this recipe until I read the ingredients. This is nothing like the original Jell-O recipe which I loved back in the late '60's, early '70's.
May 30, 2017
I made this for our Memorial Day picnic and it was a big hit! Everyone loved it, and the kids could hardly eat it fast enough. I used blue berry and strawberry jello to made it a patriotic theme. This will be one of my #1 picks for any picnic. It makes a very full 9x13 pan.