Squash Hominy Soup
Using frozen cooked winter squash speeds up the preparation time in this delicious soup. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes4 servings (1-1/4 quarts)
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the squash, broth, hominy and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cream.