Sprouts with Sour Cream
I never really cared for brussels sprouts, but this wonderful recipe I received from a friend changed my mind. The slightly sweet sauce turns the tender veggies into a special change-of-pace side dish. —Mary Devlin Etobicoke, Ontario
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- Minced fresh parsley
- Add 1 in. of water and brussels sprouts to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, brown sugar, salt and mustard until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat through.
- Drain the sprouts; place in a serving bowl. Top with sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 103 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
May 20, 2013
I thought these were awesome!! LOVED the sauce! I could have eaten the whole bowl myself! YUMMY!!
Sep 20, 2010
I did not like these at all. The Lemony Brussels Sprouts (TOH) are much better.
Sep 27, 2006
No comment left