Split Pea Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes16-20 servings (about 5 quarts)
- 1-1/2 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 7 to 8 whole allspice, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded
- In a Dutch oven, combine the peas, water, allspice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, onions, ham and cabbage; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard allspice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 180 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 7, 2014
So very good and healthy.
Nov 10, 2013
Absolutely love this soup. Made it many, many times. I have friends who do not like cabbage and they love this soup. It is a true winner.
Feb 4, 2013
No comment left
Jun 24, 2012
This is a good soup. However, I always use yellow split peas, never green ones as we don't like the taste.
Jan 22, 2011
Oh, my goodness! This is just incredible. I can't stop eating it!! I didn't have allspice so I improvised by using substitute spices (1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves). I also used packaged cole slaw cabbage, which worked fine, but think I'll cut my own next time in order to have larger pieces. Awesome!
Jan 16, 2010
I love split pea soup of any description. In place of the ham I used sliced kielbasa and it was wonderful. This tastes wonderfully "cooked from scratch".
Oct 14, 2007
No comment left