Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, carrots, macaroni and oregano. Cook until vegetables and macaroni are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in spinach; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 143 calories, 0 fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Feb 7, 2014
As soon as I added the spinach I had to add 2 more cups of Chicken Broth! It tasted really good with a sprinkle or two of Parm cheese!! I substituted black beans for the kidney beans!
Jun 6, 2013
I added extra broth and waited until the broth was heated to add the macaroni. very tasty and a good low sodium alternative.
Jan 31, 2012
absolutely delicious!! I wouldn't change a thing.
Jun 28, 2010
I'm sorry I meant Shallots, not scallions!
Jun 28, 2010
My husband loved it! Very healthy for us all too!I used 3 scallions instead of one onion, and I also put in 1 cup of elbow noodles, instead of 1/2cup. I also used a tsp. oregano and added some salt and pepper and I used fresh spinach, not frozen. We sprinkled shredded Romano Cheese on top and served w/ Ritz Crackers. Very Good Dinner!
Dec 8, 2005
No comment left