Spicy Shrimp & Watermelon Kabobs
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups cubed seedless watermelon (1 inch), divided
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- For glaze, place soy sauce, chili sauce, honey, garlic and 2 cups watermelon in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup glaze for serving.
- On 4 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread shrimp, onion and remaining watermelon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place kabobs on an oiled grill rack over medium heat. Grill, covered, 3-4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink, brushing with remaining glaze during the last 2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with reserved glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 kabob with 1 tablespoon glaze: 172 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
Aug 19, 2020
Oh my goodness! A dream come true for using up extra watermelon. I absolutely love shrimp and spice...so with the sauce it's a total win! Yum!
Jul 9, 2019
Reduced the amount of Sriracha for my friends who do not like too much spice. The sauce is so good, it can be used on there proteins.