The recipe for Spiced Rhubarb's been in my family for years—it was handed down to me by my mother, who got it many decades ago from her mother. This dish is good either hot or cold...with a meal (it's delicious alongside pork or lamb) or just plain. I even like to spread it on my breakfast toast! As for me, I'm a country girl. I was born in the country, and I'm still here.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makesabout 4 pints
- 10 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil; reduce heat and simmer for 60-70 minutes.
- Pour into pint jars and refrigerate. Serve as a glaze for ham or spread on biscuits.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 59 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Apr 26, 2011
Very delicious! Tastes great with ham, on pound cake, etc! I even used some of the leftovers for apple dumplings and they tasted AMAZING!!! A bit on the sweet side, but still a good one to try :)
Jul 3, 2010
This is wonderful with ham... yummy!