Spiced Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, drained
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a saucepan, melt 2/3 cup butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread in the bottom of an ungreased heavy 12-in. ovenproof skillet or a 13x9-in. baking pan. Arrange pineapple in a single layer over sugar mixture; place a cherry in the center of each slice. Sprinkle with pecans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add alternately to batter with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Carefully pour over the pineapple. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes for skillet, 50-60 minutes for baking pan. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 509 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 3, 2020
Taste So delicious!! I left out pecans because of allergies. My only problem was that the cake was so "tender". It was so moist (?) that it was almost falling apart. Not sure how to fix that. I will definitely make again though! Super tasty!
May 2, 2020
No comment left
Mar 22, 2020
Absolutely delicious!! I used pineapple tidbits, toasted the pecans before adding them, and made the cake in a Bundt pan. This is the only pineapple upside down cake I’ll ever make now!
Dec 22, 2019
This cake is excellent. I used almonds instead of pecans and pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg. Once flipped, the cake is very impressive. Delicious and a show stopper. I will definetly make this again and again.
Nov 6, 2019
Apr 19, 2019
The topping was very tasty but the cake part itself was disappointing.
May 27, 2018
Never made a pineapple upside down cake but this was hands down delicious! Added to my personal recipe collection.
Aug 23, 2017
This was very good. I left the nutmeg out.
Jul 12, 2017
We love this cake!! It's the best upside down cake I have ever tasted!!
Jan 30, 2016
Hubby loved it! I did 9x13 cooked in 50 minutes