Spiced Doughnut Drops
These goodies are fit treats for any age, as Glendale Heights, Illinois resident Ruth Calcagno well knows. "Our children loved them when they were young," she explains. "Now that they're grown, they're sharing them with their children—and still enjoying the doughnuts themselves, too!"—Ruth Calcagno, Glendale Heights, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add the sugar, oil and pumpkin; mix well. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 350°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into oil; fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Combine topping ingredients; roll doughnuts in topping while still warm.