Spiced Baked Beets
Meet the Cook: Especially during fall and winter, this recipe is a favorite. With its red color, it looks great served at Christmastime. It's nice for taking to potlucks as well. My husband and I have two grown children. I teach home economics. -Margery Richmond, Lacombe, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 cups shredded peeled beets (about 4 to 5 medium)
- 1 medium onion, shredded
- 1 medium potato, shredded
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beets, onion and potato. In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; bake 15-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 84 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 28, 2020
PS. These baked beets go really well with ravioli!
Jan 14, 2019
This recipe is amazing! I'm always looking for new ways to use our homegrown beets and this recipe is definitely a winner!
Jan 17, 2007
No comment left