Special Roast Turkey
Before putting my turkey in the oven, I pour on a savory sauce that adds a pleasant citrus-soy flavor and helps hold the other seasonings I like to sprinkle on the roast. Turkey can be easily roasted with the giblets in the same pan. The giblets can be added later to the savory gravy sauce. —Gloria Warczak, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 4 hours
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice, divided
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ORANGE GIBLET GRAVY:
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a greased rack in a roasting pan. Add water, giblets and neck to pan. Combine 1-1/4 cups broth, 3/4 cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons soy sauce; pour over turkey. Combine bouillon, onion and garlic powder; sprinkle over turkey. Bake, uncovered, 3-1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with foil. Remove giblets and neck when tender; set aside for gravy. Combine remaining broth, orange juice and soy sauce. Remove foil from turkey; pour broth mixture over turkey. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°
- For gravy, remove meat from neck and discard the bones. Chop giblets and neck meat; set aside. In a saucepan, combine 2 cups pan juices, broth, orange juice and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Stir in thyme, sugar and pepper. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk into broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in reserved giblets and neck meat. Carve turkey; serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked turkey with 2 tablespoons gravy: 283 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein.
Apr 6, 2015
Very tasty! The gravy was wonderful!
Nov 22, 2012
This is the second Thanksgiving I've prepared this turkey. It is delicious! I love the gravy, very savory. All my family loves this turkey.
Nov 24, 2007
No comment left
Oct 6, 2005
No comment left