Special Banana Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Transfer to 2 greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake loaves, covering with foil if they darken too rapidly, until a toothpick inserted in each center comes out clean, 1-1-1/4 hours. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- While loaves are still slightly warm, whisk glaze ingredients. Drizzle over loaves, using a baking pan or parchment paper under racks to catch excess. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 234 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 29, 2020
I’ve been making this recipe for 8 plus years! It’s great and always turns out great.
Jul 14, 2020
Best banana nut bread ever!
May 6, 2020
I just left a very positive comment on the bread and wanted to add this note. Check the bread after about 30 minutes to see if it's getting too brown. I checked it after 45 minutes and that was just a bit too long.
Apr 28, 2020
This is a very good banana bread, I did not change anything, except did not use any frosting or sauce. Loved it
Apr 19, 2020
The banana bread was good. Three of us finished the two loaves in 4 days. I will try the recipe on this site that uses pineapple and compare.
Mar 24, 2020
I substituted 1 cup of light brown sugar for 1 cup of white sugar. I also toasted the pecans before chopping and adding to the batter. I did not use the glaze. This is a very moist and dense cake. Very very happy with this recipe.
Jan 30, 2020
This banana bread is easily the best I’ve ever had. The glaze adds sweetness and texture. I think this will become my go-to recipe. VFE
Jan 25, 2020
I’ve made this bread numerous times now and it “IS” THE BEST Banana Bread I’ve EVA EATEN!!! I haven’t even made w/sauce yet, and it’s STILL “THE BEST”.
Dec 13, 2019
Just finished making this for the first time and it is perfect. By far the best banana bread I’ve eaten, and the glaze makes it all that much better. Definitely replacing my old banana bread recipe with this one!
Sep 17, 2019
I have been using this recipe for many years, exactly as written and it has always come out perfect. Most people who taste it tell me that I make the best banana bread they have ever had.