Spaghetti Squash Casserole Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 8 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add 1/2 in. water and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375° until squash can be easily pierced with a fork, 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, thyme and pepper; saute until onion is tender. Add tomatoes; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Scoop out the flesh of squash, separating strands with a fork. Combine the flesh, tomato mixture, bread crumbs, ricotta cheese and parsley.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° until heated through and top is golden brown, about 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 263 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Sep 23, 2019
It was easy and my mother loved it
Nov 15, 2017
This was so easy to make. My children do not like any squash. With this meal, they came back for seconds. Will be making this one again.
Feb 17, 2016
Quicker to halve, take out seeds, put face down in casserole dish, cover plastic wrap, microwave 15-20 min.. Use any topping you would use with pasta
Sep 23, 2015
very good, but I think I will try to spice it up next time. a little bland for us. I added meatballs to make it a one dish meal
Oct 14, 2014
Really time consuming!
Apr 5, 2014
It was great! I added in some chicken breast but left the rest the same... will definitely make again!
Sep 2, 2013
No comment left
Mar 26, 2013
Delicious! VERY easy to make. The sketti squash took a bit longer than 20-30 minutes. I infact bumped up the temp to about 425 degrees for approx 50-60mins. I used a can of diced tomatoes because I did not have any tomatoes in the fridge. This worked out great! Make sure you drain the tomatoes before adding them. I omitted the mushrooms for the first time because friends/family don't like mushrooms. It was fine without them however don't omit them if you don't have to. Next time I may add green and/or red peppers (diced finely) and some spinach. This is my first time cooking with sketti squash and I will add this to my recipe book.
Jan 28, 2013
Wow. Loved this recipe, such a nice change from other casseroles. I used cottage cheese/sour cream cuz couldn't find ricotta. I froze it before baking, then thawed it and baked as directed and it came out fine! Next time I would add a bit more salt.
Jan 14, 2012
I really enjoyed this recipe. It was fairly easy to make and turned out to be a hit for the entire family.