Southwestern Swiss Steak
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 10 onion slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup mild, medium or hot picante sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Using a mallet, pound all of the flour into the meat.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Brown the meat on both sides. Arrange onion slices over the meat. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over onions. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove meat and keep warm.
- Cook the sauce until it is reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired. Pour sauce over meat and serve immediately.
Mar 17, 2015
Very tender, gravy was very good. It was a little spicy since I used medium picante sauce, if you did not want the extra heat it would also be good using mild salsa for the picante.
Dec 22, 2013
This was very good! Will make again. DH came home with a pkg., of already 'pounded' steak, so skipped that and followed recipe from browning the meat. Don't know if it had flour on it, probably not, but the sauce thickened nicely at the end, just cooking it down. Used 1 pt. home canned tomatoes and homemade salsa. Had 1 large mushroom (??) in fridge, so sliced that and added with onion slices. Yum!