Southwestern Squash Soup
This recipe is the perfect soup for a cool winter night. To spice things up even more, add one finely-chopped canned chipotle pepper before you puree the soup.—David Collin, Martinez, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Cayenne pepper to taste, optional
- Ground nutmeg and sprigs of fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add cumin and coriander; toss to coat. Add sweet potatoes, squash, broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly. puree in small batches in a blender until smooth; return all to the pan. Add cream; heat through. If desired, season with cayenne pepper and garnish with nutmeg and cilantro.