Southwestern Refried Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 bacon strips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/4 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the drippings, saute the onion, celery and garlic powder until vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans, picante sauce, broth, parsley and bacon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until flavors are blended. Season to taste with pepper sauce if desired. Ladle into bowls and top with cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 260 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1012mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein.
Apr 22, 2020
great soup, though I did vary by using a whole pound of bacon, but I've only heard PETA and some religions complan about that. Simple, great flavor
May 26, 2015
No comment left
Apr 22, 2014
This is very quick to make and is filling and delicious for those who enjoy southwest flavors...also low in fat if used with fat free cheese for garnish, no fat refried beans, and Tostitos baked scoop tortilla chips..yum!
Apr 7, 2012
I have made this recipe several times, me and my husband both love it! I have to double the recipe just for the two of us!
Nov 29, 2011
For this recipe I used thick sliced Black Forest Bacon fried in lime juice. This livened up the bacon with citrus flavor and really enhanced the soup. This has become one of my favorite soups to make.
Mar 10, 2011
LOVE this soup!! So easy and such good flavor! It has become part of our Mexican meal night as a side dish with tacos or echiladas.
Oct 31, 2010
YUMMY! I have just recently started to enjoy cooking, and this soup made me feel like a gourmet cook! It was so easy and delicious - very flavorful - and reminded me of a dish I'd find at a restaurant. I used several drops of hot sauce and believe I will add fresh cilantro next time rather than parsley. I also thought a small amount of black beans would be nice for added protein. I can't wait to make this again!