Southwestern Pasta Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked spiral or cavatappi pasta
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk the first 8 ingredients until blended. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta; rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, mix pasta, corn, beans, tomatoes, olives, peppers, onion and 1/4 cup cilantro. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, top with avocado and the remaining cilantro.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 203 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 2, 2020
This was a bright and light pasta salad. It was very good. I did add a tablespoon of agave nectar to the dressing to offset the sharpness of the lime juice.
Jun 20, 2020
Loved all the ingredients but the dressing lacked a little something. I will make again, but will tweak the dressing a little for more flavor my family prefers.
Jun 6, 2020
I added more of the salsa , probably 1/3 of a cup. I only used app. 10 ounces of pasta instead of 16 and added an additional can of black beans because I wanted more vegetables than pasta. This made a great lunch.
May 14, 2020
We love all the ingredients in this recipe so I just made it for lunch. Unfortunately we were disappointed there wasn't more taste. I've read the reviews below so may try it again using some of the tips and bump up the cumin, salsa, cayenne and salt.
May 11, 2020
Wasn't sure that the lime juice was to be more than the olive oil so I switched the measurements. The salad turned out wonderful. Next time I will only make half batch, as it was double or even triple the amount I needed for 4 people!
May 11, 2020
Sounds delicious. Is there a good substitute for white wine vinegar--regular vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine????
May 11, 2020
Good combination but as always for me, raw garlic ruins and overpowers most dishes. I would also blanch the diced red onion as well. I'd use fresh olives rather than canned which tend to be tasteless. I'd add some fresh mild green chilli as well and another avocado.....plus I'd use a yellow or orange pepper, not a green one.