Southwestern Hash with Eggs
Before I retired, this all-in-one skillet dish was constantly requested at office brunches. I'd leave out the eggs, double or triple the recipe and wrap servings of the zippy pork mixture in warm corn tortillas. —Barbara Beasley, Beaumont, Texas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 10 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds pork steak, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook pork in oil until browned, about 4 minutes. Add potato, onion, garlic and green pepper; cook and stir for 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, bouillon, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Make four wells in the hash; break an egg into each. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until the eggs are completely set. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve over tortillas.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 520 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 335mg cholesterol, 1104mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 49g protein.
Jan 9, 2018
No comment left
Dec 19, 2012
No comment left
Apr 5, 2011
I didn't have pork steaks, so I used deli corned beef , I had and 5 strips of bacon. OMG!! very very good. Thank you!