Southwestern Broccoli Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, bouillon cubes, vegetables, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine the flour and milk until smooth; gradually stir into the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Add the salsa; cook and stir until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 143 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 856mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Mar 3, 2018
Really Good and Easy! Didn't have hash browns or Velvetta so used cubed potatoes and Mexican blend cheese.Might try a small pasta or cut spaghetti ( fideo) in place of potatoes. Used chicken broth instead of bouillon.
Jan 17, 2018
This was delicious! A very tasty on broccoli and potato soup the salsa gives it a great added flavor! I used frozen broccoli and it worked fine.
Jan 5, 2014
Tried this soup and loved it. It's a great twist on broccoli cheese soup and a great meatless option. I used regular hash browns because apparently I can't read recipes right when making my shopping list and we used more of a pico de gallo type of salsa, and added some diced red bell pepper and it was very delicious. We will be making this again definitely!!
Mar 26, 2013
This was delicious! Highly recommend it. I had about 3/4 lb of ground beef I needed to use up so I threw that in. I cubed 3 potatoes instead of using frozen hash browns, and I used frozen broccoli because that's what I had on hand. Definitely a keeper!
Feb 18, 2013
No comment left
Jan 13, 2013
We added hamburger meat with taco season. Very GOOD!
Jan 7, 2012
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS RECIPE!!! I have made this serveral time!!
Nov 13, 2011
Very tasty and easy to make soup!
Oct 24, 2011
No comment left
Oct 15, 2011
This was a great soup! My entire family loved it! I added a chopped medium onion to the recipe. Will definitely make again!