Southwestern Backyard Burgers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices
- Toppings of your choice
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Top with cheese. Grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Grill buns, cut side down, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato and toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 495 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 908mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein.
Jul 17, 2020
I’ve been making these for years. These are a family favorite. I freeze 1/2 the raw patties for future use. I’ve made as directed but I’ve also used cheddar slices and fry sauce ( or thousand island dressing) and the burgers are great! I’ve also used Italian sausage and it’s still delicious.
Aug 9, 2019
I have made this many times. All ages love the burgers. I do cut WAY back on the chili powder however. Too spicy. When I double the recipe I put in some ground pork mixed with the pork sausage. Less spicy for the young kids. Always juicy. Never dry.
Dec 13, 2016
The flavor in these burgers is good, but I found that they were a little too wet and did not hold together well at all. I measured all the ingredients exactly, too.
Jul 2, 2015
My family loved them. They where really good I will have to make these again but for when I cook out.
Oct 2, 2014
My family thought these were amazing!! I made exactly as directed even with the lettuce , tomato and pepper jack cheese!
Jul 7, 2014
Definitely a good burger! I received many compliments on them for our 4th of July cookout!
May 27, 2014
Delish!!!i I had mine topped with salsa. Will definitely make again! A nice change for a burger. I also used 1 lb of ground beef, 1 lb of ground turkey & 2 1/2 links of sweet Italian turkey sausage. Yummy!!
Aug 20, 2012
I have made this recipe again and again since 2010! This is one that keeps me from buying deli burgers in the store. Easy to make, great taste and just the right touch of heat, not too much or my wife would not eat them.Excellent burgers, one of two burger recipes I keep going back to.
Sep 14, 2011
We made this the night before the game. we made them "slider size". Put them in a tupperware container and grilled the next day before game. They were a huge hit.
Mar 4, 2010
I made these for a tailgate. Brought the meat and had someone cook them there. Everyone claimed these were the best burgers they've had in their life! I'm making again for another event this week! :)