Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split, toasted
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 to 2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- Mayonnaise or mustard, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top each burger with a cheese slice.
- Grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese begins to melt. Serve on buns with the lettuce, tomato, avocado and mayonnaise or mustard if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 516 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 888mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Apr 14, 2015
These burgers we're great. I added 1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs and 1 egg to make sure the burgers would bind. They turned out great. Very moist and flavorful.
Sep 20, 2010
Because I didn't want to make this many burgers, I omitted the sausage, cut the ground beef to 1 1/2 lbs and halved the green chilies and seasonings...made into 5 patties. Topped with pepper jack. Delicious!