Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the peas, corn, thyme, garlic, salt and cayenne; cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Add broth and wine or additional broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add spinach and rice; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until heated through and spinach is wilted.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 23, 2017
I had this recipe saved for a while, sorry I didn't make it sooner! I used rice that had been cooked in chicken broth, so while not vegetarian it was a delicious meatless meal that I'll be making again very soon. The other change I made was to use drained and rinsed canned corn instead of frozen. Instead of the cayenne, I added hot sauce plus seasoned it with Creole Seasoning to give it a little extra kick.
Jan 13, 2013
This is a great, easy to make meal that's different from the ordinary. Use the cayenne or Tabasco to give it some kick.