"Your family will rave about this dessert," says Tommy Conley of Vero Beach, Florida. "Biscuits are a fun change from the usual shortcake."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Whipped cream
- Combine the strawberries and sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cut shortening into flour until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat egg; add buttermilk. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead three to four times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 3-in. round biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned; cool slightly.
- Split biscuits lengthwise; place the bottom halves on serving plates. Top with about 1/3 cup strawberries and whipped cream. Replace biscuit tops; spoon about 1/3 cup strawberries and more whipped cream on top. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 216 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.