Southern Plantation Cornbread
I get this recipe years ago from my college roommate's mother. I've tried a lot of other corn bread recipes since, but none compares to this one—with the ham baked in, it's much more like a complete meal than simply a bread. I'm a home economics teacher, and I'm active in Future Homemakers of America, too. Besides cooking, I enjoy reading and cross-stitch.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 slices American cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 6 ounces diced breakfast ham or 1-1/2 cups diced ham
- In a saucepan, combine the flour, half-and-half cream and 1/2 cup butter until smooth; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese. Cool.
- Add the egg, whipping cream and sour cream until blended. Add remaining butter; fold into corn muffin mixes and ham. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until set. (Do not overbake.)
Apr 23, 2011
This cornbread is to die for! Very rich, but oh, so yummy!
May 10, 2010
WOW!!! This is AMAZING!!! sooooo rich. i doubled the diced ham - turned out fabulous. Definate Recommend.