South-Of-The-Border Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 taco shells, crushed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- Salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Drizzle with salsa if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 253 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Mar 24, 2013
No comment left
Jul 26, 2012
My girls really liked this recipe. They were finished before I was....which NEVER happens.
Dec 17, 2011
I don't know why this recipe was changed from the original printed in the January 2008 issue. I have the original printout which call for whole eggs and sauteing the vegetables first. Why fix a recipe when it isn't broken?