Sour Cream Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2-inch chunks)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- In a bowl, cream sugar, shortening and egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Gently fold in rhubarb until evenly distributed. Spoon into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until done. Cool slightly before cutting into squares
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 17, 2017
This recipe has been handed down over the generations, I have been making it for 50 years,. I found it in my moms recipe box when I was a kid. A tasty, moist cake, wonderful to take to family picnics. In winter when you want a taste of summer, get a frozen bag out, thaw and make a summertime cake!
Jun 3, 2015
nice crunchy topping...moist cake...good flavor...i used thawed frozen rhubarb...check fordoneness after 40 min....would make again.
May 20, 2013
So delicious! I will definitely make this every rhubarb season, and maybe more than once! The topping is delicious and crunchy, and matches very well with the moist cake. The brown sugar in the recipe makes it sooo yummy! I substituted chopped pecans in the topping and loved it
Jun 8, 2011
I have already made this recipe several times. It has been a hit every time I've made it, and someone always asks where I got the recipe. Definite thumbs up!!
Jul 6, 2007
No comment left