Sour Cream Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- In a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, combine water, bouillon, potatoes, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add 1-3/4 cups milk. Combine flour with remaining milk; stir to form a smooth paste. Add to soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add a small amount of hot liquid to sour cream; stir to mix. Gradually add to soup, stirring constantly; heat through but do not boil. Add parsley and chives just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 7, 2019
Just made it tonight. Excellent! I made it exactly according to the recipe and it was just the right amount for the two of us with left overs for another meal! I might cut back a little on the flour for thickening next time. Either that, or I’ll increase the milk. Delicious!
Oct 18, 2016
This soup is amazing! It was chock-full of flavor. If you love the taste of potatoes with sour cream & chives, you will adore this soup! I only have dry herbs on hand, so I added dried chives & parsley at the beginning with the potatoes - about a teaspoon of each. I also used half milk & half heavy cream. YUM!
Jan 9, 2015
I am a doctor-er, the magic was better with a heaping tablespoon of Ranch Dip powder added to the sour-cream mixture! Delish recipe for using up pantry items and a belly warmer for cold winter days! Oh and topped with crumbled bacon! SO GOOD!
Sep 28, 2014
This is very bland if you follow the recipe as printed. I added a 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 8 slices of crumbled bacon with additional salt and pepper. Tasted much better.
Feb 5, 2014
I made this soup on a cold winter weekend, and it was delicious. I made two changes to the recipe. I used 2 cups of chicken broth (instead of the water & chicken bouillon) and swapped out the sour cream for 2 ounces of Velveeta. Even my picky son liked it! This is a recipe I will definitely make again!
Dec 3, 2013
Very tasty! I added some chopped carrots.
Nov 5, 2013
I added broccoli, garlic, leeks and carrots. Once it was all cooked I pureed before adding the milk. I used some heavy cream in place of some of the milk because I had it on hand and wanted to use it up. I served it with sour cream and diced cooked bacon. It was excellent! My family loved it!
Nov 1, 2013
Perfect as written -- the best potato soup ever!
Apr 24, 2013
A variation to this wonderful soup, is to clean & snap fresh gr. beans (1-1 1/2 lbs); cover w/water; when done continue w/ recipe as written. If any water evaporated from beans, just add to to make 2 c. This is my mother's recipe. Now I make for my grandchildren. They love it!!
Apr 21, 2013
No comment left