Sour Cream Bread with Herbs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, celery seed, dill seed and onion. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, water and 3 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 70 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a round loaf. Place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over bread. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 156 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 30, 2020
This is a really good recipe. I made it mostly because I needed to use up some sour cream, but it turned out very well and I am not an accomplished bread maker by any stretch. It was very moist and soft and extremely tasty. I used minced onion and garlic and dried chives for the “herbs” and it turned out great! I will definitely be making this again.