Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/3 cup warm water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Honey, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a loose ball forms (dough will be crumbly).
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 3 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll out into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Cut into 12 squares with a knife or cut into 12 circles using a round biscuit cutter.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat 2 in. oil to 375°. Fry sopaipillas for 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels; keep warm. If desired, serve with honey and/or dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 sopaipilla: 57 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jun 16, 2020
whre is the pumpkin, without that is' not real sopaipilla
Aug 16, 2014
flavorful, easy to make. prefer without the sweeteners, goes well with spicy foods such as mexican or indian.
Oct 16, 2013
Terrible. Just flavorless crackers. Nothing like what the photo portrays as the end result. Even the honey didn't help.
Aug 26, 2013
One of the best Sopaipillas recipes I have tried in years - will make again
Jun 19, 2013
Very tasty, and so much fun to make!
May 5, 2013
I wasn't to pleased with these. The dough was tough to roll out and when i deep fried them they didn't rise...Nothing like the photo, Very Disappointing :(
Apr 30, 2013
The secret to frying sopapillas is this--when you drop them into the fat, they will rise to the surface. Using a cooking spoon or fork, push them back under the surface a second time. They will puff up when you do this, into delightful little pillows. Don't use too shallow a pan. They will turn themselves over if the fat is deep enough and hot enough. Try them with chocolate sauce and add a little cinnamon. Yummy.
Apr 6, 2013
Easy and delicious, they turned out great!
Jan 21, 2013
No comment left
Jan 19, 2013
So good with a spoonful of honey