Soft Onion Breadsticks
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, divided use
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; cool. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, 1 egg, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in onion and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Let stand for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 32 pieces. Shape each piece into an 8-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Beat cold water and remaining egg; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle half with sesame seeds and half with poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 16-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 breadstick: 82 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 26, 2013
These were good; left out the toppings. The outside was rather crusty. The printed recipe in the TOH Cookbook has a typo with the "1 egg" being added twice to the dough. After I did that I didn't have one to brush on the top. The online recipe looks like it is correct.
May 28, 2013
Tasty breadsticks! These came out better than I expected them to. I varied the "toppings" to just sesame seeds, sesame seeds and grated parmesan cheese mixture, and basil, parsley, and parmesan cheese mixture. The fam thought they were great!!
Nov 1, 2010
Loved these breadsticks!
Dec 14, 2009
I made these with soup, and my family gobbled them up! I would add more onion, and will when I make these again. My dough took longer to rise, but it was a simple and delicious recipe.