Soft Almond Biscotti Bars
These bars are a variation on the fabulous cinnamon almond biscotti that my mom and grandmother always made for the holidays. Instead of crisp, crumbly cookies that are difficult to shape, these bars are chewy and satisfying with cinnamon flavor and toasted almonds inside and out. —Jannine Fisk, Malden, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat sugars and oil until blended. Beat in eggs, then 3 tablespoons water. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and cinnamon; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in chopped almonds (dough will be sticky).
- Press into prepared pan, lightly flouring top as needed. Mix egg yolk and remaining water; brush over dough. Top with sliced almonds, gently pressing into dough. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into 24 squares; cut each square two triangles.