Snappy Cocktail Meatballs
This recipe was given to me decades ago by a German woman. They're easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time. —Nancy Means, Moline, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
MakesAbout 5 dozen
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 10 gingersnaps, finely crushed
- In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, combine the tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and onion in large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in gingersnaps, continuing to boil until sauce is thick and clear. Reduce heat to simmer; add meatballs. Heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 43 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.