Smoked Gouda & Swiss Chard Strata
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 10 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound Swiss chard, leaves chopped and stems julienned
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 12 slices white bread, toasted and cubed
- 2 cups smoked Gouda or smoked Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- 10 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Cook chard stems and onion in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add chard leaves and red pepper; cook 2 minutes. Drain.
- Lightly grease a 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half the bread cubes, half the vegetable mixture and half the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Mix remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour over layers; press down slightly. Sprinkle bacon over top. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake until puffy, lightly browned and set, about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 509 calories, 31g fat (14g saturated fat), 257mg cholesterol, 1055mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Nov 13, 2016
Delicious! Toasting the bread gives it a good, not-too-soggy, texture and I loved the flavor combination of smoked cheese and bacon.
Oct 30, 2016
Strata is a great dish on a cold night! We substituted kale for Swiss chard. The smoked cheese and bacon give great flavor and smell wonderful coming out of the oven!