Smashed Sweet Potatoes and Apples
I was looking for ways to cut down on the number of dishes that require oven time on Thanksgiving, so I devised a sweet potato dish that can be made ahead in a slow cooker. It’s not too sweet, and it makes a perfect side for turkey or ham. —Judy Batson, Tampa, FL
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 8 cups)
- 1-1/2 pounds tart apples, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer or additional unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Minced chives, optional
- Place potatoes and apples in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add apple juice and beer. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- Drain; return to slow cooker. Add brown sugar, sour cream and butter. Mash potato mixture to reach desired consistency. If desired, top with minced chives.
PRESSURE COOKER: Place potatoes and apples in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker; add apple juice and beer. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 12 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Press cancel. Drain; return to pressure cooker. Add brown sugar, sour cream and butter. Mash potato mixture to reach desired consistency.