Slow-Cooker Salsa Roast
This is so easy and fast to put together on your way out the door in the morning—and so good when you come home! Try it with rice or on soft tacos, or pile it on hamburger buns. —LaVonne Peden, Olympia, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours + standing
Makes8 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (24 ounces) salsa
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sprinkle roast with garlic salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; brown roast on all sides. Transfer meat to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine salsa, water, onion, jalapeno and taco seasoning; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-7 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Reserve 2 cups cooking juices from slow cooker; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices.
- Transfer to a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into salsa mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with roast.